0161 237 1913 (Monday - Friday 9:00 - 17:00)

0161 237 1913

Monday - Friday 9:00 - 17:00

0800 988 64 22

24hr Legal Advice & Assistance

Making off Without Payment

If you are accused of making off without making payment, the police have to prove that:

  • You knew you had to pay for goods or services at that time,
  • That you have dishonestly left the location or run away without paying, and
  • You have intended to avoid paying the amount due.

This type of offence commonly happens at petrol stations, where customers fill up their cars with fuel before driving away without paying (“Fill and Burn”), or to taxi drivers, where passengers run off at the end of the journey to avoid paying the fare.

Making off without payment is an either way offence, which means that it can be dealt with in either the Magistrates Court or the Crown Court. Most cases of making off without payment can usually be dealt with by the Magistrates Court, but that does not affect your right to elect for jury trial. Like all dishonesty offences, a conviction for even a minor allegation can have a serious effect on your life and career. It is important that you are represented by a solicitor who can and persuasively present your case to the Court.

The solicitors at Stephen Lickrish & Associates have dealt with many allegations of clients making off without payment. We can represent clients in Greater Manchester and the North West, as well as throughout the country. If you, or someone you know, are accused of this offencecontact us to see how we can help you.

See Also:

Contact Us

Lexcel Accredited Legal 500 CDS Chambers UK